Friday, February 3, 2012

To keep in line with the simple theme of this blog, I like to throw in some of my personal food favs from time to time.  I have a family of four (2 of which are kids under the age of 10) and I love to cook for them.  I am not a chef, however.  Nor do I desire to be one.  I love to cook simple food simply.  My family also loves to eat that way.  So, most of the time our meals consist of a protein, such as chicken, turkey or fish, a starch, such as rice, pasta and at least 1 vegetable and sometimes a fruit, too.  My goal would be to serve two veggies at each dinner meal but I don't always get there.  So, here's an example of what we ate last night: baked lemon-herb chicken breast, sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli and green beans.  Gourmet?  Absolutely not!  Yummy?  Yes!  Another example, whole wheat spaghetti with ground turkey tomato sauce, steamed spinach and mixed berries.  See what I mean?  Simple!  My children love it this way and eat without complaints!  (Disclaimer: My younger one did go through a bit of a phase where he didn't want "anything".....but I continued serving what I always had to the whole family despite his protests.  And low-and-behold, he joined in!)  We are all entirely too busy to be gourmet chefs or short-order cooks for that matter.  So, lets take a deep breath and start looking at food prep simply: simple ingredients to simplify our lives!  Stay tuned for more simple meals ideas including breakfasts and lunches.  Feel free to share yours, too!  Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment